Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Your experience learning English at university

When I started the University I knew that I have to put all my energies into this because the University it’s not the same that school. I mean that University it’s more difficult that school because you have to think about things more than remember stuff. My first problem was that I have to read in English some texts. In the school I read in English but not this kind of books, so I needed much effort. I did it and I read the book but I thought that if I practice the English reading, with the time it could be easier. Then I knew the English classes and I liked it because I think that English is a very important language but the classes were some slow and without a lot of practice exercises. I think that English is necessary at the University and the classes are important but we have to make more practice classes.
The English is needed because the entire world is talking English. If we want to be professionals that travel and meet a lot of people we have to know how to communicate with them. In my case I am studying Anthropology and my future job is to know people from different cultures and the English is a great tool to talk with them. To know English today is to have the information. In my case it could mean information from people, talking with them in English, or more access to books from other countries because not all the good books are written for Spanish talkers.
The classes that we have taken are a good start for learning English. The classes are appropriate because we have remembered the things that we learn at the school and that is a great form to practice. The English that we have learning is focused in the writing. In the school it was the same so I think that the classes have to be more focused in other skills like talking or reading books. I believe that the writing maybe is the skill most developed and the talking is a big failure in the Chilean people. If we practice more talking we can talk more fluid and with better accent. Also we could read some books because a thing that the students of Social Sciences made is to read in English so it could make better our understanding in career classes.
As a conclusion I have to say that the classes at the university need to be more practice because the students require this element or tool to learn better the topics of their own career. Also if we practice English more we could use it for the future and to talk with different people and cultures around the world. The English is an amazing tool of communication and we have to know use it in the real life more that write it perfectly at class.

No comments:

Post a Comment